Welcome!

Intelligent Biped is a forum for discussing ideas, issues and solutions with a focus on our inherent human characteristics of cleverness and kindness. This forum is called "intelligent biped" because I believe kindness and cleverness to be interdependent at a biological level. Simply put, bipedal animals can't have big brains without fundamental kindness and nurturing. This forum will share and discuss issues, ideas and solutions that use and enhance our inherent cleverness and kindness amongst the chaos of everyday life.

Monday 25 May 2015

Brilliant Bircher Brekkie!

I love Bircher for breakfast! It's super tasty, super easy, sugar free and nutrient dense.  I like that I do a little prep the night before as in the chaos of our school mornings, my breakfast is sadly well down the list!  This really sets you up for the day!



 Here's how I make mine ...

Stage 1:  The Night Before

Into an airtight container put:

1/2 cup rolled oats
1-2 tablespoons date sugar
Generous sprinkle of cinnamon

Optional:
2 teaspoons chia seeds (or linseed)
1 tablespoon of LSA (linseed, sunflower, almond)











Add:
Juice of one orange
about half a cup of unsweetened greek yoghurt














Stir until well mixed
Put lid on container and refrigerate overnight






Stage Two:  Getting ready to EAT

Add grated apple (or small apple and small pear)

Now this recipe, using whole bits of fruit, is hard to scale down.  I find that this makes enough for two breakfasts for me.  So, I add the grated fruit into the container, then bank half back into the fridge (lasts fine for one more day if stirred through well to prevent browning) and dish the other half into my bowl before adding crunchy ingredients.




You can stop here and your bircher will be very tasty.  I like to add a bit of texture and crunch, as well as additional nutrition at the serving stage ...

Usually I add a little more yoghurt, but 9 year old mischief decided to eat half a kilo of yoghurt yesterday and I discovered there was none in the fridge!!!  Actually I didn't miss it with the cocoa nibs, sunflower seeds and banana 

Ideas for optional extras:
Dried fruit
Sunflower seeds
Cocoa nibs
Fresh berries
Banana
Pumpkin seeds

No comments:

Post a Comment